WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

WHAT WE LOVE TODAY column: Great Design Comes In Small Packages from Poland...

 What We Love Today 
is our new Tuesday, Summer Column.  It's short and sweet, a time and place to focus on one beautiful, unique design. Today, we celebrate, these rattan & resin vessels by artist Wiktoria Szawiel
   
Sometimes  a design just resinates, and when I saw these gems, I instantly wanted to learn more about them.  At first glance they appear to be vintage, and initially I thought perhaps from the 1960s because of the wicker and the color combinations, but once I saw them up close and noticed their nuanced designs with varying textures and materials it is apparent they are hand made utilizing modern technology.  These gorgeous vases and bowls (as well as a plethora of other stellar designs) are created by Polish artist, Wiktoria Szawiel.  She makes them out of resin and they are encased in wicker baskets, then she polishes them.  The end result is a combination of polished and matte finishes and a lovely texture peeking through.  They are all different, and something about the rough and smooth qualities melding together has us smitten.  The colors are unusual and work well together, and they are especially fantastic when grouped as a collection.

Szawiel holds an MA in Contextual Design from the Design Academy Eindhoven with a nomination to Gijs Bakker Award and Keep an Eye Grant for her project Landscapes within.  Her work focuses on design of objects and spaces, and she creates furniture, accessories and much more.  Check out her art at 
wiktoriaszawiel.com

Happy Nesting
XO Tamara