WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

Under The Pergola VII with a ladies' Lunch in East Hampton celebrating our philanthropic efforts at the IFDA NY chapter

Stop Under My Pergola Today To Glean 
Stylizing Tips And Sources For A
Festive Summer Table.  
Although it is only August 6, we are winding down our summer.  With one eye towards the activities of the fall season, we embrace the sunny days of of the season with a quintessential surf and turf summer menu for the ladies of the IFDA NY Chapter.  Last spring this group helped to organize an annual fundraiser called Take a Seat, chair charity auction we held at Room and Board showroom in Soho with NYC&G magazine as our media sponsor and all to raise money for non profit, Habitat for Humanity NYC.  Lisa McMahon and I co-hosted the event with the help of a wonderful committee of folks at the IFDA NY chapter.  Today, we celebrated our work by splurging with a decadent lunch of lobster, steak and homemade spicy margaritas.  The group made the long drive (in traffic) from the city to spend time with me and to toast our collective efforts.  I made mini lobster rolls, steak with horseradish on garlic toasts, a mixed green salad, fresh, local tomato mozzarella & basil, roasted potato and asparagus, fresh corn off the cob with brown butter and fresh lemon, watermelon, chicken salad, blueberry pie and petit fours. These images showcase examples about how to bring your inside design style outside for an afternoon or dinner party.  You can easily create a room outside and warm up an outdoor space, whether an expansive yard or a small terrace by combining accessories, pillows, plants and flowers.  
Come take a look...

Lisa took a photo of me just after setting the table.
the illustrious Lisa McMahon mixes the cocktails.
The table was set with a medley of hot colors from orange, pink to navy and it was a layered aesthetic celebrating summer.  I was over the moon when designer Kim Seybert sent me 20 gorgeous hot pink napkin rings and they certainly brought a lot of bling to our table, finishing it off perfectly.  Seybert also generously gifted me beautiful white linen napkins with a navy and black scroll that work well with the other patterns I planned.  The napkins are brocade embroidered in white/navy and above is Kim Seybert's signature Constellation napkin ring in the new fuchsia color from her summer 2014 collection.  Seybert brings luxury and sophistication to the world of home decor, and I just love her tabletop items. These beaded and jeweled napkin rings are lavish, and she also creates runners, place mats, napkins  and more all hand-embroidered in Vietnam. 
Sample Sale Alert: 
if in the Hamptons this weekend (Friday and Saturday August 8 & 9), Kim Seybert's designs will be on sale at the Jennifer Miller shop in Southampton.  This summer sale is a must to pick up select pieces just in time to add to your summer table.
I interspersed Seybert's napkins and rings with brand new exotic looking indigo and cream napkins I picked up from Luru Home. The myriad textures and patterns complimented Luru Home pillows I mingled with my own collection of cushions.  The amber-colored glasses, the Lisa Corti multi-colored table linen in pink and orange pulled together the entire color palette, and when added with my antique pieces and objects and art, it all worked in a way that was stunning. We became familiar with the ladies from Luru Home when they donated a chair to our Take A Seat auction last spring.  I am impressed with their talent -- keep your eye out for Liza and Claire of Luru Home because I suspect we will be seeing more fabulous designs from these ladies in the future! I am crazy for this pattern called Double Happiness (on the pillow above) and the style works in a variety of spaces from my outdoor table to my guest bedroom.  The versatility of their designs is a lovely look for a beach house. 



The talented Claire Russo of Luru Home
posed for me in front of her gorgeous pillow collection!  
 I created spicy margaritas, a combination of grapefruit, mango puree, orange juice, fresh squeezed limes mixed with a bit of jalapeno and of course, tequila.  
It was the hit of the party!
 big tip for outdoor entertaining:
always designate a table, bar or even a tray for your drinks, 
allowing guests to refresh when needed!
colors like paprika, hot pink, yellow, blues all created an eye catching and interesting table 
that set a festive tone.  When entertaining outdoors please don't play it safe - this is a time to play up your creativity.  I stopped into East Hampton market Round Swamp Farm for colorful zinnias and field flowers which added to the vibrant colors.
 Round Swamp Farm's fresh (made daily) salsa is delicious! 
 I brought out painted stones hold napkins, 
bowls of sweet and savory bites which paired perfectly
with our spicy cocktails.
 I utilize the local resources by shopping at farm stands, cheese shops, fish markets.  These cheeses and the fig ball from Cavianola's cheese shop in Sag Harbor are delicious. Shopping locally like this allows for the freshest ingredients and when combining my own home cooked dishes with some prepared items, it saves time as well.
 a pensive moment as Bridget waits patiently for guests to arrive.

 guests bearing gifts, artist Debbie Viola created this hand painted silk scarf 
(amongst many of her other artistic talents.  Look for a post here soon showcasing 
Debbie's paintings--left).   IFDA NY friends Susan Slotkis (owner of Treasure Trove shop on etsy which sells decorative art and vintage pieces) and talented writer Rose Gilbert (author of our IFDA NY newsletter) sharing a cocktail (right).


Happy Nesting 
XO Tamara